180 competence points
At Yrkesakademin i Österbotten (YA – Vocational College of Ostrobotnia) you can study the Vocational Qualification in Social and Health Care, Practical Nurse in English, with the competence area of Working with Elderly. The curriculum consists of both theoretical and practical studies, and on-the-job-learning which mainly is organized in Finnish workplaces.
The studies start January 16th, 2017 in Vaasa. The study time is 2.5 – 3 years, depending on your previous qualifications. Studies are mainly organized daytime Monday to Friday between 8.15-16.00, but on-the–job-learning often means working hours in accordance with the working hours of the work place, three shift work Monday – Sunday.
There is no tuition fee for this education, and a free lunch is provided for in school during the schoolyear (mo-fri). There is a small fee for computer services. Concerning financial aid for students, see www.kela.fi.
We recommend this study alternative to those who are interested in the social- and healthcare, and have the language skills to study mainly in English. You also have to be interested to develop your skills in Swedish/Finnish, which are the languages of our work places. Language-lessons are arranged within the qualification, but you have to be prepared to study languages on your own time too. You have to have at least a B-status permit and an own address in Finland at the time of your application.
The scope of the qualification is 180 competence points and the teaching languages are English and Swedish. The studies includes 135 competence points Vocational units, 35 competence points Common vocational units and 10 competence points Free choice units.
- Motivation to work in the field of Social and Health care
- If the applicants right to study earlier has been cancelled in any upper-secondary training institution, applied university of science or university, the applicant can not be accepted to study Vocational Qualification in Social and Health Care
- Criminal record extract shown before the first on-the-job-learning
- Permanent postal address and at least valid B-status residence permit in Finland
- 9 years secondary education
- Health and vaccination certificates are to be sent to school nurse after admission.
- Health Requirements for the Vocational qualification in Social and Health care (National Board of Education, regulation 38/011/2011). In short, the applicant´s health or ability to function does not prevent him/her to be accepted into studies. However, on grounds of the government decrees 1032 and 1033, a person, whose illness or injury is likely to prevent him/her from participating in practical tasks and on-the-job learning included in the training, can not be admitted as a student, if the safety requirements so stipulate, and the hindrance can not be removed with reasonable costs and measures. Hindrances preventing the admittance can be:
- mental illness that prevent participation in practical tasks and on-the-job learning, such as acute untreated psychosis or severe depression lowering ability to function,
- diseases and injuries of the muscular-skeletal disorders and chronical eczemas, that may prevent the student carrying out practical tasks and on-the-job learning
- diseases which are transmitted by blood may limit the chances of job placements
- problems with substance abuse and substance dependence
- Good spoken and written English (issuing of language tests certificates required at entrance test):
- The National Certificate in English language (YKI), at least level 4, Intermediate (in all parts)
- TOEFL 550 paper-based test/TOEFL 79-80 internet-based test
- Completed secondary education in English
The application period is until October 16th, 2016. Application is Closed!
Entrance exam will be arranged during week 46-47, 2016 only at Yrkesakademin i Österbotten, Kuninkaankartanontie 30, 65380 Vaasa, Finland. Please, note that not all applicants are invited to the entrance exam. The information of admissions will be posted in December 2016.
Requirements for Vocational Qualifications: http://www.oph.fi/download/140436_vocational_qualification_in_social_and_healthcare_2010.pdf
Uppdaterat:måndag, 17 oktober 2016